Wednesday, November 13, 2013

RTFM

Isn't it amazing what you spot when you actually bother to read the manual? I must have filed the manual for my Imperia CSM in my "to be filed" pile, sometime before the Big Decorating Debacle of 2013, and only found it again, along with some other manuals, last night whilst looking for a penpal letter I need to reply to (yes, I found that too eventually, but not filed anywhere sensible, just in a pile of knitting books on the floor. Oops!)

Apparently, I'm supposed to knit four selvedge rows not two (it says rows, I would call it rounds really) and that to make them tighter the heel spring should be used. Now, I have been wondering how to make my ribbed edges less wibbly (technical term) - the trick with knitting EON on the main cylinder and hooking the float onto the empty ribber needles does make a neater edge, but it IS fiddly and risks splitting the yarn. The hooky tool I use looks like a re-purposed dental pick so it's pretty sharp. I've a few pairs of socks I mean to try the old ravel cord trick on - you thread the ravel cord through the cast on edge, and pull it tight, and it often evens out the stitches. 

And this also follows for knitting machines - who amongst us hasn't thought "I know how to do this technique", and had the machine go into fits. Often it's the simplest things one forgets - like knitting lace draped across the ribber bed (to maintain the 90 degree angle you'd get without the ribber in place). So, don't be too proud to go back to your manuals and refresh your memory. We all suffer from CRS syndrome from time to time (Can't Remember Sh*t)!! You'd be surprised how much information is in the manuals :)

Next time I get anywhere near my house and CSM, I'm gonna try using the heel spring. I might even try four rows of selvedge (suspect that modern 4ply might be a bit too thick for that though). Watch this space!


No comments: